x265 is an open-source project and free application library for encoding video streams into the H.265/High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) format. x265 is available to anyone under the terms of the GNU GPL 2 license. x265 is also available to commercial companies who wish to distribute x265 without the open-source restictions that the GPL license imposes.
The source code is freely available for personal or private use.
- Build on the x264 codec (widely recognized as the highest quality H.264 codec implementation) to create the best HEVC (H.265) video encoder in the world
- Offer the highest possible quality at any given bit rate
- Offer the lowest possible bit rate for a given quality level
- Deliver the world’s fastest and most computationally efficient HEVC encoder
- Highest encoding and decoding speed for any hardware configuration
- Lowest resource utilization for real-time encoding
- Deliver industry leading features and developer support
- Achieve the widest possible adoption from the open source community and from leading web video services, software developers, video hardware and software developers, semiconductor manufacturers and academics.
- Free for personal or internal use, or for any use compliant with the terms of the GPL 2 license
- Lower cost for commercial users versus competing proprietary HEVC codecs