x265 is a H.265 / HEVC video encoder application library, designed to encode video or images into an H.265 / HEVC encoded bitstream.
x265 Project Goals
- Develop the best HEVC (H.265) video encoder in the world
– Offer the highest possible quality at any given bit rate
– Offer the lowest possible bit rate for a given quality level
- Deliver the world’s fastest and most computationally efficient HEVC encoder
– Highest encoding speed on any hardware configuration
– Highest visual quality, whether you are doing high quality offline encoding or high speed real-time encoding
- Deliver industry-leading HEVC codec features, supporting the full HEVC standard including range extensions
- Achieve wide adoption from the open source community, leading web video services, broadcast encoder developers, independent software developers, video hardware and software developers, device OEMs, semiconductor manufacturers and academics.
- Provide the best possible support to developers, licensees and adopters
- The x265 Encoder application combines a user-friendly interface with the x265 encoder library, making it easy for anyone to convert MP4 files to HEVC.
- x265 is available under the terms of the open source GNU GPL 2 license. Source code is available on https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265.
- x265 is also available under a commercial license to companies who wish to distribute x265 without the copyleft restrictions that the GPL v2 license imposes. For commercial licensing questions, please contact our licensing team (license @ x265.com)
- Developers can access the source code and contribute to x265